Neighbor Solutions

To join: http://www.neighborsfromhell.com/index.html#msgbd
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Audio programs
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:34 pm 

Anyone have any suggestions for sound programs which can strengthen the voice part of a recording so it can be heard better, yet filter out background noise? Basically, what I'm trying to do is isolate voice and clarify it.

Post subject: Re: Audio programs
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:40 am 

Also, if anyone can recommend audio recorders which would be more likely to pick up low sounds. Someone thumps around downstairs at odd hours of the night. Like 4am today. It's not regular walking sounds, I have no idea what it is.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:35 am 

I found some services that do court quality audio/video enhancement. I'm asking them for quotes. If it's not too expensive may be worth having them go over the recordings.

While I do have an audio recorder in my bag, all of my other recordings are inside my apartment, which means the sound is somewhat muffled by the floors, etc. which affects the quality of the recording

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:16 pm 

The going rate for the enhancement seems to be $300 and up per hour. And some have a 2 hour minimum. So I'm going to see what I can learn on my own and research application/software reviews.

I used the chat feature of a local electronics store to get recommendations for the recorder. This is the one I ended up getting.

http://tascam.com/news/display/688/

And this was the microphone recommended. Though there's another more expensive option which was also suggested

http://www.crownaudio.com/soundgrabber.htm

I'll report any findings.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:23 pm 

An update. The boundary mic actually helped pick up clearer sound. I had to record a recent incident. From inside my apartment, a lot more of it than usual was audible. It doesn't pick up everything though. There have been times when it didn't pick up lower sounds. But it picks up yelling pretty well and there's less noise pollution from background noise.