Neighbor Solutions

To join: http://www.neighborsfromhell.com/index.html#msgbd
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One crisis after another
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:54 am 
Venerable

Pretty much freaking out right now. The furnace in my new apartment blew up - or such was my interpretation of seeing it die in a haze of sparks flying everywhere. (management says it did not blow up). They put in a new furnace and while doing so, the manager decided I had too many boxes and they were a fire hazard and issued me a 7 day notice to get rid of them or be evicted. I am totally freaking out. I asked for more time, but she wouldn't give it.

I hired a guy yesterday to help me organize the boxes and he said he had been year a few years ago with the same situation. He said the same manager threw someone out because after a month (I have been here 2 months) she had not unpacked fast enough. He said he was there helping the person move when 'the b*tch came out and kept harassing her, called the police and the police told us to leave.'

I am totally freaked out. I have never been evicted and lived in my own house, bad as it was with the NsFH, for 9 years. I accumulated a lot of stuff.

I told the manager I needed more time and she doesn't care. She said 'what if the building catches fire and I have to say it was because I gave you more time to unpack.' I called a lawyer and they said to send her a note asking for reasonable accomodations due to my health problems and some disabilities I have, that I need more time. I said I had already talked to her about it and she had said 'no.' He wanted me to do it anyway. I am presuming he is setting this up in case it goes to court, to have it in writing.

Someone is supposed to come today and I am freaking out over the whole thing and that these strangers are coming in, memories are coming up as we unpack and decide what goes to storage or not and am in shock that anyone could be so cruel.

Most of my stuff is going to storage, but it also appears, some things were stolen during the move, which is also upsetting. I am totally overwhelmed.

Seems I can't win. The neighbors here are decent and the landlord/manager seems psycho. Actually, even before this happened, I was thinking 'this feels like a Nazi compound; I am not so sure I like it here, apart from the fact no one is shooting at me.'

I am totally freaked out and would appreciate any input. 4 months ago I was a homeowner and now I could be homeless? The manager said she does not want to see one box, even when I protested, I have kept some things in boxes for years (let alone, some appliances are in the boxes they came in.) This all seems surreal.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:46 am 
Veteran

The eviction procedures have to follow state law. You could research what the criteria is. In any case it generally takes months and involves non-payment of rent and/or damaging the building. I have a hard time believing having moving boxes in the apartment are legal cause.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:24 am 
Venerable

bob_o, everyone says what you say. They can't believe it, it is ridiculous and so on. I can't believe it either. I am rushing around like a maniac, am sick, getting sicker and more and more freaked out. Spending a small fortune on workers, storage and so on and if I don't lose my mind and health, will be quite shocked.

Not sure I want to stay after this, assuming I don't get thrown out, but definitely will need time to recover.

One of my doctors felt so badly about this situation, how cruel and ridiculous it is, he actually volunteered my physical therapist to help me. I said I felt uncomfortable with that. I asked anyway since the Dr. was standing there, but the PT said he couldn't he was too busy (working there.) I said 'I thought so, esp. as it is happening now.'

My physical therapist, whose judgment I greatly respect, said this about the manager: a slumlord and cruel. I get the cruel part, but where does he get the 'slum lord' part. I googled it and basic main definition was someone who lets premises get run down, exploits people, esp. the poor, over charges.

My Dr. and others told me to go over the head of the manager and call corporate offices, but I don't know who they are and couldn't find it on Google. My gut feeling is not to do it as this woman strikes me as a tyrant and that will just infuriate her. Legal Aid gave me a little help but I can't get threw today or yesterday. I have not been able to find a tenant-landlord lawyer who represents tenants as this state is so poor and lawyers go where the money is. Even the landlord-tenant hotline has been disconnected.

I didn't realize how small this place was compared to my house and it is a nightmare. At least 75% of my stuff is being thrown into storage at the cheapest mover price I can find (and for me, that is not that cheap) and I have not had a chance to go threw it and throw out what I don't need after 9 years of accumulating stuff and the mover said that will be more money to move all to a cheaper unit so I can go throw it. Not sure I can take much more.

Not quite sure how to keep it together but am doing my best. Thanks for the moral support. I have heard this from so many people, I am starting to really feel victimized and I hate feeling that way. I had a condo all set up to move to, was prequalified and some malicious person illegally messed it up and I still have no answers on that or why she did it. If not for waiting to move there, I would have unpacked etc long ago, or at least, started once I started to recover from the car accident I was in right before moving. Still in physical therapy and life does not seem so good right now, to say the least.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:56 pm 
Venerable

I will try to make this brief. I called a lawyer, he told me to send the manager a letter 'request for more time, reasonable accomodation.' I did it. She ignored it. I ran around like crazy hiring people to get the boxes out and place cleaned up. The lawyer said 30 days was 'reasonable accomodation' in his experience and that granted by the court. That is what I asked for and did not get.

Manager did not respond, so the lawyer said send another copy. I did, by email. This time, 2 days before the time limit was up (I am sure this awful woman knew I had called a lawyer) she wrote back 'how much more time do you need?' I didn't even get it til the 7 days was up, I was too busy trying to get the boxes out and place cleaned up, which I did, having to hire a crew and spend a small fortune. When I called the manager, she claimed she had answered my first request and claimed she had proof (BS). She liked how the apartment looked and said all was fine. However, the 7 day notice included a section that should I violate the lease again within 6 months, she could throw me out without giving me a chance to fix it as she did this time.

As I posted in the NDN problems, I hired a mover to help me who told me she'd done even worse to another tenant, threw her out after a month and called the police and Fire Marshall on her while she was moving, apparently trying to get her in trouble. As the mover told me, the MANAGER was cited by the Fire Marshall for wasting their time (I forget the official wording.)

I told the manager I would get sick if she made me do all this so fast and I did. I got pneumonia, about which I am VERY upset now. Really, a landlord should not have the right to kill a tenant for any reason.

When I was well enough/had time to get my mail, I found a letter from the City stating someone (I wonder who) filed a 'Trash and Weeds' complaint on me and please clean it up. I called the City and they said that usually goes to the manager of a complex, not an apartment dweller and they had no idea why it was sent to my apartment and that no, my rosebushes etc on my balcony were not considered 'trash and weeds.' They said I could come to the City Clerk's office to see who filed the complaint and I will when better and have time. My guess is the manager was T'd off I called a lawyer and did this in retaliation. So on top of being a Nazi b*tch, she is a put down artist too. Since when are rose bushes 'a blight' and 'weeds.'

Before I moved in here, I did ask the tenants how they liked it, as I normally do and thought it strange they all said 'it's OK.' But no one said anything bad, so I figured 'ok' was good enough. I later read the lease (to find out what I did that was grounds for eviction in not unpacking fast enough) and it is in the lease the 'badmouthing' the complex is grounds for eviction. Had I had more time/seen that to start with, I never would have moved in here. I do not think it is legal to do that (violates First Amendment - free speech) and further, anyone who has nothing to hide would not put that in there. Too late now. I was working on getting a condo and had been pre-approved when some other nasty person messed up the deal. I was still working on that, sick or not (making phone calls) when I got a letter from CA to come to an open house this Friday (2 days from now) from a wait list I have been on. I plan to go, but since I am so sick, am not looking forward to it as I normally would. All this is wearing me down. I did have hopes of getting the CA apartment at first, but now am so sick and harassed, can barely think straight.

NM has the #1 crime and poverty rate in the country and is tops in nearly everything bad. Some people love it here; I would strongly discourage anyone from ever moving to this state. They don't call it 'Land of Entrapment' for nothing. I have wanted to leave after being here 6 months and it has been near 10 years now.

That is where things are now.