Neighbor Solutions

To join: http://www.neighborsfromhell.com/index.html#msgbd
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smells...
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:16 pm 

I am not as upset by this as by the noise I originally complained about, but one of the things I never considered about living in a condominium- smells.

My downstairs neighbors are Mexican, very nice on the whole, but her cooking, frankly, stinks sometimes.
So last night I came home and dealt with that by plugging the sinks, and putting a little water with tea-tree oil to mask the horrible smell.

Now tonight I can smell cigarette smoke indoors...so I just opened an air freshener...

I am coming to the conclusion shared walls/space was a bad idea for me, I find these things rather invasive, especially now I can't sit outside or don't feel comfortable doing so.

Oh well, it's better than the harassment before...two steps forward one step back!

Post subject: Re: Smells...
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:05 pm 
Veteran

It could be worse,... It could be curry.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:10 am 

Cabbage. At one job, the vent from the microwave emptied out near my workspace. A guy brought in some cabbage dish and warmed it up. It was in a landmark building in NYC near the first 9/11 anniversary. I was working with a younger assistant and I didn't want to panic her, but my first thought was we were under some kind of terrorist attack, the smell was that foul. I calmly said, "let's go out to the hallway" and we did. Odor was fainter there, but other people were asking about it. And it turned out several other people, including the assistant initially thought it might be terrorism too!

He never brought it in again, so I guess someone said something to him. When your meals are mistaken for weapons of mass destruction, time to learn some new recipes ;)

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:13 pm 

So funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:41 pm 

At just about any hardware store, you can get a product called Great Stuff. It's an expanding foam - spray it around pipes under the kitchen and bathroom sinks and any other area that connects units. Make sure the space is filled with the foam. If you can, get your surrounding neighbors to do the same. Don't worry if you're renting - the stuff easily cuts away with a paring knife. It makes a world of difference.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:43 pm 

Thanks Sagebrush, I'll try that out!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:04 pm 

I thought of this post and had to laugh when my Haitian next door neighbors have been cooking what smells like this awful smelling cabbage for the last few weeks, 'round the clock. They cook it late at night and I think a few times burnt it. And other gross smells are coming from their apartment too. I know there's an elderly woman there and she has an home health care aide but I can't figure out if she's simply not washing out mops and such after the woman has accidents. They would put bathroom rugs, clothing, towels etc. that reeked of urine in the window to dry. I had to ask them to either wash or rinse them out before hanging them out to dry.

Yeah, Great Stuff is well, great, I've used it all around the apartment and just recently to seal bathroom areas to keep out the bugs.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:00 pm 

Horrendous smell presumably from cooking tonight, first time in a while.
Put some tea tree about but it's very pervasive, the neighbors have the door and windows open ( it's still way too hot for that, my a/c is on ) but it seems to be their culture, I think they'd cook in the street if it were allowed.
They seem so nice, but I start to wonder if cultural differences aren't insurmountable after all.
I used to be so tolerant, but now for the first time if I moved again I'd want to know the racial mix, the cultural background, the ages...I can't afford to be amongst the elite who can buy million dollar homes in gated reservations to keep away people they don't want in their space, or buy 15 acres and fence it off against the world...but I can see why people would now who are rich enough.

All it takes is a few bad experiences of someone costing your peace, privacy, health or money. Changes you.

How am I dealing with tonight's smell, practically- put tea-tree in the sinks in water, and delaying my dinner until it's less foul. It must be bad because usually the nose adjusts to most smells, the only other smell I have found so pervasive is strong urea/ammonia or skunk roadkill...very appetizing I must say!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:54 am 

Was woken by sounds of neighbor(s) being violently ill. So maybe this road-kill cookery (!) is self-limiting.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:31 pm 
Venerable

curry is the worst. It lingers and you will not get the smell out. I used to work retail and was by an area that had lots of Indians. They would return stuff that had been in their house. Sometimes even still in the plastic packaging. We had to throw that stuff out, never could re-sell it with that smell. We would try airing it out and everything and it would not leave.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:53 am 

TexasTreaty wrote:
All it takes is a few bad experiences of someone costing your peace, privacy, health or money. Changes you.

That is spot on!