Neighbor Solutions

To join: http://www.neighborsfromhell.com/index.html#msgbd
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio Noise
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:40 pm 

Hi: I am new here and need some advice.

We moved here less than a year ago, and it was not disclosed that the neighbor was NFH. Currently, we are in mediation and I'm not sure that anything is going to come from it. To put it succinctly, their issues are: we ruined the existing fence during remodeling and now asserting our cameras violate eavesdropping laws. Our issues: harassment in the form of the neighbor yelling at all hours, music from the garage that allows us no enjoyment of our home (inside or outside).

I have three questions:

Did meditation work for any of you?
If mediation did not work, did it assist you went you went to court?
Did it make things worse?

Post subject: Re: Radio Noise
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:12 am 

Hello Serenity..I will give you my 2 cents from my own experiences..

First of all, regarding the cameras and "eavesdropping laws", it is based on my own extensive research with my own security system and in speaking with a local trooper that cameras are allowed as long as they do not interfere with a neighbor's (or anyone else's) right to privacy. In other words, if a camera is pointed at a neighbor's backyard, it is considered a public area and the person can not expect a reasonable right to privacy since it's outside and visible to anyone nearby. However, if you aimed a camera, say, at someone's bedroom window or bathroom window from your location, then yes, that would be considered a violation of a right to privacy, but you have a right to protect your property and your rights with a camera as long as it doesn't interfere with what would be considered a privacy area. Someone's yard is not considered a privacy area. You can't tresspass on it without permission but from everything I have read you are within your rights to have a camera pan or capture video from a non-private area.
You will get multiple opinions on mediation, but my own opinion is that you are depending on the other party to adhere to a mediator's request for all parties to get along. What would a person do in a situation like that when they essentially have been "called to the principal's office"? They're going to behave and say they won't do it again. What will they do after everybody's back is turned? They'll do it again. My personal advice is to document, document, document...write everything down in a logbook. Get images and recordings from your camera, save them to a flash drive or DVD disc and keep them as evidence. Once you have all of this, and the situation persists and you see no recourse, bring them into court. My guess is that they won't have any evidence other than "word of mouth". Documented evidence will work wonders for you in court. Going through mediation would most likely help you in court as it shows you have made an attempt to quell the situation and the other party is not keeping their end of the bargain. Don't worry about making things worse with your neighbor, as long as you have documented evidence. If you need to keep bringing them into court or calling the police on them, bring the evidence with you, or show law enforcement the evidence. Eventually they will stop because they won't be able to defend their videotaped actions.

Good luck!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:24 am 

Thank you so much for the lovely advice. I have documented for the last year (I'm up to 16 pages!) I just didn't want to be "that person". As we continue to move forward, I appreciate the information about the cameras. I thought we were fine, but there's not much case law in this respect and there's so many nuances, including what state in which you live. Unfortunately, the lawas haven't caught up with iPhones and other electronic devices.

You have given me some self assurance and self confidence regarding the situation. Thank you for replying!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:47 pm 
Veteran

serenity wrote:
I have three questions:

I'm going to reply one by one here.

serenity wrote:
Did meditation work for any of you?

No, NFH are by nature liars. It is of no moral consequence to them to to lie in order to attain their goals.

serenity wrote:
If mediation did not work, did it assist you went you went to court?

No, for some strange reason the failed mediation was not even brought up in the court proceedings.

serenity wrote:
Did it make things worse?

Not worse in any real sense, but,... worthless. NFH never had any intention of becoming a good neighbor and lied repeatedly in mediation. The only thing that slowed the behavior was the threat of legal action backed with real evidence of his wrongdoing. Once he could not lie his way out he changed his behavior. That said, in our case that a'hole didn't become a better neighbor, he just changed tactics.

The advice by the poster above is sound, I would add only this. Treat NFH like a job, not personal, just something you have to deal with.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:29 pm 
Venerable

I so wish these boards had Like buttons. Thank you, Bob_O.

Site manager, http://www.NeighborsFromHell.com

nfh@borzotta.com

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:30 pm 
Venerable

And thank you, nopeaceinct.

Site manager, http://www.NeighborsFromHell.com

nfh@borzotta.com

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:30 am 

Hi everyone: Thanks for the feedback. We will see what happens. After we threatened legal action, things were quiet for awhile, with an outburst every once in awhile. However, a few days ago, I had a tree trimming company come out and trim the trees that are his but are over our house. I have planted bushes that if given some sun, will create some privacy between both if us. His trees are over the roof and will create some problems if we don't trim them. There's nothing nefarious with our actions and I was concerned that this would happen. Although by law I can trim to fence line, I purposefully didn't due to his issues. Well, now he's mad anyway. The music has gone back on for an hour or more and loud enough to be heard inside the house. Hes yelling really loud outside to try to be annoying. He's been waiting to turn it on right when I return home from work and now is back to standing outside when I get home to watch me go inside with my children in an attempt to frighten me. I get so nervous around him that when I backed out I'd the driveway yesterday and he was there, I almost got hit by another car. My blood pressure is up too. We changed out the camera to one clearly directly towards the lot line and we are putting in another camera to watch the front door and can see the rest of his front yard. Tonight he was still so angry since I videoed him staring at me and I know he hates it, he played his banjo outside in the front yard. If tomorrow is the same thing, I guess we will re-engage in court action. I really didn't want to and it was going so well for awhile. Sigh.

Have a great night. And thank you to you all.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:25 pm 

DOCUMENT!!!!!!!!! DOCUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DOCUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!

I am "old-school" and believe highly in a "paper-trail". Use your phone and the type exactly what happened!!! It's too easy for video to be altered, but if you have a detailed timeline of everything it will point out inconsistencies in the other person's version of what transpired.

“He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.” --Leonardo da Vinci

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. --MLK

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:36 pm 

My situation is similar to yours, read my post NO SECURITY IN A GATED COMMUNITY. My id used to be skay115, but we had to change it due to system problems.

Our police recommended cameras directed at the NFH back yard. This infuriated them and they screamed that it invaded their privacy. My camera views their back yard and deck as if I am looking out my window. The cameras gave me a means to document their antics, they hate it and there is nothing they can do about it. The camera footage combined with my reports to police and subsequent visits to their house caused them to realize that their tactics will only hurt them.

They also installed cameras in their back yard. I think it's fine, they don't bother me at all. I will never retaliate and consider it protection against being falsely accused of anything that happens in their yard.

NFH usually have some social disorder and live for the feud or fight. I can only encourage you to Ignore, Ignore, Ignore! At first they may act out more, but they will eventually tire like a pathetic middle school bully. I recommend you Keep your cool and don't let them drag you into the fray. If they are stupid enough to act out they should have to own it.

I made sure that I did not call the police unless I knew they were violating a law. And, any time you call the police, have all of your documentation laid out on the counter for them to review. The police officers have been very understanding and supportive because they can easily see who is the crazy.

I did not consider mediation or discussing the situation with them because they are not rational people and it would be a waste of my time. In addition, I am reluctant to give them the satisfaction of knowing how their taunting behavior affected me. I choose to be aware of my surroundings when I'm outside in order to protect myself; pretend they do not exist, yet document their attempts to harass.